Belt conveyors are the most commonly used powered conveyors because they are the most versatile and the least expensive. Product is conveyed directly on the belt so both regular and irregular shaped objects, large or small, light and heavy, can be transported successfully. These conveyors should use only the highest quality premium belting products, which reduces belt stretch and results in less maintenance for tension adjustments. Belt conveyors can be used to transport product in a straight line or through changes in elevation or direction. In certain applications they can also be used for static accumulation or cartons.
Belt conveyors have proven to be a reliable method of conveying bulk materials. Industry standards for the design of belt conveyors have been developed by the Conveyor Equipment Manufacturers Association(CEMA).
Features of belt conveyor:
It mainly consists of frame rack, belt, roller, transmission part. The frame rack is made of steel; the belt is made of cotton or nylon as the core. It has the advantages of big conveying capacity, simple structure, convenient repair and standard parts.
1. A wider range of material can be handled which pause problems in other transportation means. Belt conveyor can be used for abrasive, wet, dry, sticky or dirty material. The lump size of the transported material is limited by the width of the belt. Belts up to 2500 mm wide are used in mining industry.
2. Higher capacity can be handled than any other form of conveyor at a considerably lower cost per tonne kilometre. Conveyor belts with capacity of 11000t/h and even higher can be deployed to match with higher capacity mining machinery.
3. Longer distances can be covered more economically than any other transportation system. A single belt conveyor or a series of belt conveyors can do this. Belt conveyors can be adopted for cross-country laying.
4. By the use of many forms of ancillary equipment such as mobile trippers or spreaders bulk material can be distributed and deposited whenever required.
5. Many other functions can be performed with the basic conveying like weighing, sorting, picking, sampling, blending, spraying, cooling, drying etc.
6. Structurally it is one of the lightest forms of conveying machine. It is comparatively cheaper and supporting structures can be used for many otherwise impossible structures such as crossing rivers, streets and valleys.
7. The belt conveyor can be adopted for special purposes (fire resistant, wear resistant, corrosion resistant, high angle negotiation etc.) and can be integrated with other equipment.
8. It can be horizontal, incline or decline or combination of all.
9. Minimum labour is required for the operation and maintenance of belt conveyor system.
10. In underground mine transport, belt conveyor can be used in thin seams as it eliminates the rock works that might otherwise be required to gain haulage height. Moreover, belt conveyor can provide continuous haulage service from pit bottom to the surface.
As the name suggests, in this type of belt conveyor, the surface for the belt comprises of rollers. The rollers are selected based on the load of the items to be transported and the required speed of the belt. Usually there are two rollers in a short belt conveyor. However, the number of rollers may increase if the distance between the two ends of the belt conveyor is more. Typically, these belt conveyors are used when the items are loaded onto it with gravity rather than manually. Manual loading can cause mechanical shock to the rollers, resulting in damage.
Horizontal Belt Conveyor:
This type of belt conveyor consists of a center drive, gear motor, and take-up. Based on the drive of the conveyor, it can come with one or two pulleys at the end. The belt of the conveyor is flexible and the entire system has floor supports along its length.
Incline and Decline Conveyor:
This type of conveyor is similar to a horizontal belt conveyor, but has an additional component. It comes with a single or double nose over and sometimes it also has a feeder portion. Typically, this type of conveyor has a rough surface on the belt during incline or decline rather than making use of a smooth-surfaced belt. This offers more traction to the items placed on the conveyor and prevents them from rolling backwards or forwards.
This conveyor comes with caster wheels allowing it to be rolled from one place to another. There are different types of portable conveyors and most companies can find one to suit their needs. There are even portable gravity conveyors that can be extended depending on the customers needs.
You must be logged in to post a comment.
© Copyright 2013-15, All Rights Reserved by Rich Field Minerals